Windsor Castle is the world’s oldest and largest inhabited castle – it has been home to the Royal Family for more than 900 years.
This stunning royal residence is a ‘must visit’ for guests staying at the Thames Riviera Hotel. We’re just 18 minutes’ drive from the castle.
1. The original castle was built by William the Conqueror in the 11th century – originally as a motte and bailey fortification with three wards based around a central mound (and it has grown rather splendidly since then!)
2. Windsor Castle has been home to the Royal Family since the reign of Henry I who ruled England from 1100 until 1135 (which co-incidentally happens to be the year one of our sister hotels The Olde Bell Inn opened.)
3. Henry III and Edward III both rebuilt and extended the castle. At that time it was Europe’s biggest secular building project!
4. Henry VIII and Elizabeth I both used the castle to house the royal court – and also for diplomatic purposes.
5. Charles I spent time at Windsor Castle during the English Civil War…but not as he intended. He was imprisoned there – it was an important military HQ for the Parliamentarians!
6. After the civil war, Charles II turned to architect Hugh May to remodel the castle in 1668. May had been one of three commissioners called on to oversee the rebuilding of London after the Great Fire of 1666.
Seeing Windsor Castle and all its treasures typically takes between two and three hours. Opening times differ depending on the month of your visit.
From March to October, Windsor Castle is open every day from 9.30am to 5.30pm (last admission 4pm). From November to February, it’s 9.45am to 4.15pm (last admission 3pm). The castle is closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
All admissions include a multimedia tour. Prices vary depending on whether the State Apartments are open or closed.
The castle’s St George’s Chapel is closed on Sunday to visitors but worshippers are welcome to attend services.
• ticket prices
• opening times (including early closures on certain days)
• opening times for the Semi-State Rooms
• services at St George’s Chapel.
The Thames Riviera Hotel is just 7.6 miles by car from Windsor Castle. Part of the route is the M4 so it’s a quick and convenient drive!
Here are our postcodes for your sat nav: Thames Riviera Hotel (SL6 8DW); Windsor Castle (SL4 1NJ).
Contact us for more details – 01628 674057.